Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 83 Wawa Rest Day.


A nice garden in Wawa


ronandmarge's JDRF Donation page

I had breakfast in bed, delicious muffins and coffee. Very nice day, blue skies, light wind. Did laundry and blogged.. The more observant would have seen a totem on yesterday’s Pictures marked with Gitchee Goomee. It reminded me of Hiawatha, the Poem by Longfellow, written in 1855. When I was about 8, I learned a lot of it, and have spent the last 54 years forgetting it.

It starts:

By the shores of Gitchee Goomee,

By the big sea shining water

Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,

Daughter of the Moon Nokomis

I had no thought that one day I would be here. Life’s like that always full of little surprises.

Enough for today. I’m going for a nap.

Night, night.

2 comments:

  1. We too had a rest day today, blistering weather meant the gardening had to be done by 9:00am. Sarah and I then tried a short bike ride to Lac du Moulin and spent the next hour or more recovering in the pool. Glad to see you're still waxing poetical and taking time out to enjoy the stately homes. Can you hear the wolves at night? How would you sum up Lake Superior in a few words?
    Love Dave & Sandra
    Love Dave and Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
    The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
    When the skies of November turn gloomy.
    The opening verse of
    "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
    Just in case you'd forgotten!
    You'll be passing Whitefish bay over the next 2 days and the ship actually sank about 40kms WSW of Montreal River.
    Goodnight, pleasant dreams.
    Your going to get a bit wet I'm afraid but at least it's cooler than here.
    Love Alwin & Margaret

    ReplyDelete