Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 72 Nestor to Fort Frances



A nice mural in Fort Frances





We started off the day in leisurely style, by patching the 3 tubes we have punctured in the last 2 days and I made a mental note that the holes were on the rim side of the tube. Interesting. I checked the tire pressure and also noted that the rear tire was about 15 psi lower than yesterday. Is this an omen? We set off anyway on a cool sunny morning with the air crytal clear and not a cloud in the sky. We warmed up on 4kms of gentle up hill and practically non existant traffic. You guessed it-at 20km the rear tire was low again. I will spare you the bags on and off story. As the morning was so nice I took my time doing all the things my Dad taught me when mending a puncture, inspect the tire inside and out, look where the hole in the tube is -Oh my, it's on the rim side, right where the other three were. Inspect the rim tape and find that it is damaged right there. This where all you worldy wise folks can laugh that it took so long to find the Root Cause of our problems, (I know I would) but when you are under the gun in the rain, on a dirt shoulder, and somewhat tired to boot, it changes the game a little. I guess there is no substitue for Best Practices. There I said it.

With a much lighter heart, we shot off down the road, enjoying the rolling countryside, seeing our first cattle and farmed fields since WPG. Lunch was a picnic by the side of the road, then at Emo (60km) we had another one in a diner. The road was a little flatter now we were on the 11, and the wind was a great help, but the last 35km in to Fort frances was a bit of a drag, I guess we had enjoyed our early speed too much, and now we were paying.
At last we were in Fort Frances and found Main Street and a bike shop where we hoped to pick up some new tubes, and rim tape, etc. However, fall comes early and we had to make do with a new patch kit. The owner of the shop, Russell, was apologetic that he could not help us logistically, but he did find us a clean cheap motel with a very good kitchen (we both had ribs -her appetite is back!)
Next door was a very nice guy from Edmonton who demanded pictures of us and the Tandem, he had just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and said we were his inspiration. Thanks.

Average 22kph
Height climbed 350m
Today's distance 95km
Total Distance 5194km

Thanks to all folks who have donated to our cause, we will be sending each of you a personal thank you in due course.
We have no idea about sleeping arrangements tomorrow as the guides and and internet are very light on detail. We plan to stay at Mine Centre, where at least we will get fed. Such fun!
I think that's all the news that fit to blog. Night, night.

No comments:

Post a Comment